Being Liberal and a Progressive in a RED STATE is not an easy thing these days. I started this blog to vent my frustrations on our lives being taken over by right wing conservatives with their propaganda machines. I have also learned an important lesson in the last year, it is that reading is the only way to get real information, you cannot depend on the news you see on TV.

"I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE"....Howard Beale (NETWORK)

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Draft Fears

After 30 Years, Draft Fears Rise
Some Youths and Parents Worry Despite Government's Assurances

....Rarely in the more than 30 years since the draft was abolished has the Selective Service triggered such angst. Two years into the Iraq war, concern that the draft will be reinstated to supplement an overextended military persists.....

I know I have been worried. Being the Mom of 3 sons, two in their 20's and one who will be 18 next year. Over the weekend I found myself googling "entering Canada illegally." I have this terrible fear that they are going to evoke the draft by the time my baby boy turns 18 which is April, 2006. I will not have America sending him to Iraq for a war I neither believe in or support and believe to be illegal to begin with. My other two sons seem to think they will be safe because they will take the younger 18 - 20 year olds first.

My husband and I were discussing the alternatives we would have. Canada says it will no longer take American Draft dodgers, so to go there one would have to enter illegally. From the information I have been reading it doesn't look like it will be easy. There are now more border patrol and Canada has cameras mounted on 50 ft. poles. But they say it can be done.

We talked about going to Alaska and living out in the wilds where no one could catch us at least for awhile. I would miss my other two kids terribly and that part would be sad, but I will do whatever it takes to save my baby from this madman we have for a president.

I can't believe I even have to be worrying about this. We should be looking into the colleges he could attend rather than thinking about becoming fugitives. I have never broken a law in my life and now I am thinking of doing something this terrible is beyond belief even to me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gingersnapp said...

I was actually going to take you seriously and answer you back when I checked your blog and saw this:

This is a website which glorifies my rude comments on other sites. COOL. check it out. My friends may also post from time to time.

RULES:
My friends and I will make fun of other people's posts, then give you the link. you can check out our comments and our commentary.

6/02/2005 11:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As one of the sons in question, I am 24, I would rather cut off my leg then go into the draft! (By the way is another choice incase the draft does come up, cut off a limb!

But anyway back to the point at hand, Bush can go to hell I would never in my right mind do one thing that right wing bastard would want me to do. Yes I love America and if we were fighting to defend our country, you know a real reason or if a "real" (you know just cause not they have WMD's, hell just about everyone has those except Iraq) war might break out within the next two years hell I would go because North Korea is going to kill us all, thanks again to Mr. Bush.

So That is my decision, sir. My limbs would go first before Bush make me do anything, hell I probably could sell them on e-bay and make some money to help support my self since everything in this country keeps getting more and more costly but the min. wage stays the same.

Peace out.

Impeach Bush
www.votetoimpeach.org

6/02/2005 11:38 AM

 
Blogger Gingersnapp said...

Some people do have a life other than blogging, but I had no idea you had come back after your original post that I figured was just being snarky as per your blog. I do not have to call my kids to defend me, but apparently they do read my blog and that makes me feel good. My son who is in the government employ works for NASA in Houston if you scoll down to the bottom of my blog you will see the article in our local paper about him. He is neither anti-government or unpatriotic and the other two are likewise. I can rest assured that if this country were attacked my kids would not be afraid to defend it. But we do not have to support a government that takes us into a war that has nothing to do with being a threat to us. If that was the case we would have gone to N. Korea and Iran. Who knows why Bush went to Iraq, I sure don't and I guess only he knows for sure. We are a family of military, with my dad being a WWII vet and my brother a career navy veteran. It seems quite odd to me with all those out there that are such big supporters of the war why they don't go and join up, with all the neocon bloggers there are there shouldn't be any shortage of people to sign up.

6/05/2005 6:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home