Being Liberal and a Progressive in a RED STATE is not an easy thing these days. I started this blog to vent my frustrations on our lives being taken over by right wing conservatives with their propaganda machines. I have also learned an important lesson in the last year, it is that reading is the only way to get real information, you cannot depend on the news you see on TV.

"I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE"....Howard Beale (NETWORK)

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

"Lactivists" Protest Barbara Walters

The calls for a "nurse-in" began on the Internet mere moments after Barbara Walters uttered a negative remark about public breast-feeding on her ABC talk show, "The View."

The protest, inspired by similar events organized by a growing group of unlikely activists nationwide in the last year, brought about 200 women to ABC's headquarters yesterday. They stood nursing their babies in the unmistakably public venue of Columbus Avenue and West 67th Street. They held signs reading, "Shame on View," and "Babies are born to be breastfed." Ms. Walters, who remarked a few weeks ago on the show that the sight of a woman breast-feeding on an airplane next to her had made her uncomfortable, said through a spokesman that "it was a particular circumstance and we are surprised that it warrants a protest."

full story:
'Lactivists' Taking Their Cause, and Their Babies, to the Streets

3 Comments:

Blogger Gingersnapp said...

I would never breast feed in public and I AM MODEST! But it appears that the beast has become so sexualized that our society feels like you do. When I was a kid, there were beast feeding Moms everywhere and no one thought a thing about it. It was a normal everyday occurrence which to me it should be, but I grew up around it.

6/08/2005 6:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am not a mother, so maybe someone will be able to give me some additional info, but...where can women go to breast feed in the US? i would hate to think of some mother having to go into a smelly or potentially dirty public restroom to breast feed a baby. are there rooms set aside for this? i've heard that some businesses provide special rooms for this purpose, but then again, i wouldn't know. i personally do not have a problem with seeing a woman breast feed a baby in public, but i don't know if i would be comfortable doing it myself when i have a child!

6/09/2005 2:02 AM

 
Blogger Gingersnapp said...

Melissa:
I have never seen a special room for this, and in most restaurants and stores the restrooms are so small there is just enought room to wash your hands. Plus few would have a place to sit unless on the toliet.

Back in my day, mom's used small blankets to cover their breast or special bras that had small openings to breast feed. I don't really remember any just waving it around for all to see.

All I can say is kudos to those moms who do beast feed their kids. I tried it for 2 days with my first and hated it, so all my kids were "bottle" babies.

6/09/2005 9:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home