Being Liberal and a Progressive in a RED STATE is not an easy thing these days. I started this blog to vent my frustrations on our lives being taken over by right wing conservatives with their propaganda machines. I have also learned an important lesson in the last year, it is that reading is the only way to get real information, you cannot depend on the news you see on TV.

"I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE"....Howard Beale (NETWORK)

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Bush at K-State

I was wondering yesterday if the Bush trip to Manhatten, Kansas would be protested by anyone. I did a google news search and found one article from the day before the visit that a liberal group had planned protests outside the event but there was no news about it the next day.


I then found an article that stated that Richard Nixon had come to K State at the height of the college protests in the 1970's. He was welcomed there with no huge protests like those going on around the country and those who did protest were shouted down by the ones who gave him a warm welcome --
Is K-State audience an 'amen. :

A reluctant Richard M. Nixon spoke at Kansas State University more than 35 years ago at the height of national agony over the Vietnam war. Anti-war protests were tearing apart campuses across the country, and four students had been killed at Kent State University three months earlier.

The president agreed to speak at the then relatively unknown Landon Lecture series only after guarantees from the state's freshman senator, Republican Bob Dole, that he would receive a warm reception.

Dole nailed it. Students wildly cheered Nixon and shouted down anti-war protesters.


I guess he knows where to go for these type of events. I bet if he had went to KU at Lawrence there would have been huge protests there as that is about the only liberal area that Kansas has.

(I just googled it again and found an article that says there were 200 protesters to greet Bush --Protesters greet Bush at K-State)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having gone to college at OU in Norman, Oklahoma, I understand the frustration at not being able to get even a ripple of interest for anything not related to football. (mind you, I'm still a football fan).

I'm impressed that 200 protested.

1/25/2006 1:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you would quit talking so badly about my hero George W. and his sidekick The Dick.

1/27/2006 12:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home