Being Liberal and a Progressive in a RED STATE is not an easy thing these days. I started this blog to vent my frustrations on our lives being taken over by right wing conservatives with their propaganda machines. I have also learned an important lesson in the last year, it is that reading is the only way to get real information, you cannot depend on the news you see on TV.

"I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE"....Howard Beale (NETWORK)

Monday, August 29, 2005

On New Orleans Hurricanes and 100,000 Poor People

The nightmare scenario painted through the day yesterday will not thankfully come to fruition this time; New Orleans has been spared becoming Lake New Orleans. But in watching cable coverage yesterday I was appalled to learn that ten percent of that city was too poor to be able to evacuate.

Amazing to live in America, the richest country in the world, and be unable to leave an area where a catastrophic event was more than a possibility, and loss of ones life was clearly a reality. 100,000 Americans without the resource to save their own lives.

I am sadden when I watch such events take place in impoverished countries such as Jamaica, but to think it could happen here in America, is beyond belief.
What would this have said about our American society, had we lost tens of thousands of destitute Louisianans if the worse case scenario happened?

You know that old saying "only the strong survive," well it appears in America only the rich survive!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home