Being Liberal and a Progressive in a RED STATE is not an easy thing these days. I started this blog to vent my frustrations on our lives being taken over by right wing conservatives with their propaganda machines. I have also learned an important lesson in the last year, it is that reading is the only way to get real information, you cannot depend on the news you see on TV.

"I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE"....Howard Beale (NETWORK)

Monday, January 31, 2005

This is really scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 in 3 teens says First Amendment goes 'too far'


...when told of the exact text of the First Amendment, more than one in three high school students said it goes "too far" in the rights it guarantees. Only half of the students said newspapers should be allowed to publish freely without government approval of stories....

When I read this article I was profoundly frightened. Are our children growing up with Fox News and Russ Limbaugh and being propagandized to that the so-called "Liberal Media" is a left wing conspiracy and should be silenced by the government? I have noticed the rhetoric in the media concerning the protestors of the war and of Bush and his policies. They were called "loonies," nut jobs, freaks, un-American, unpatriotic. I guess they forget that one of our founding fathers, Thomas Jefferson said, “Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Or that Mark Twain said, "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." When you conceive the idea that our Founding Fathers created a Free Press to challenge the government and to prevent it from abusing its power it is quite chilling to hear children say they think the government should tell the press what to print.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home