Being Liberal and a Progressive in a RED STATE is not an easy thing these days. I started this blog to vent my frustrations on our lives being taken over by right wing conservatives with their propaganda machines. I have also learned an important lesson in the last year, it is that reading is the only way to get real information, you cannot depend on the news you see on TV.

"I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE"....Howard Beale (NETWORK)

Monday, January 02, 2006

A Life, Wasted -- A DAD'S STORY

Early on Aug. 3, 2005, we heard that 14 Marines had been killed in Haditha, Iraq. Our son, Lance Cpl. Edward "Augie" Schroeder II, was stationed there. At 10:45 a.m. two Marines showed up at our door. After collecting himself for what was clearly painful duty, the lieutenant colonel said, "Your son is a true American hero."

At times like this, people say, "He died a hero." I know this is meant with great sincerity. We appreciate the many condolences we have received and how helpful they have been. But when heard repeatedly, the phrases "he died a hero" or "he died a patriot" or "he died for his country" rub raw.

Since then, two reactions to Augie's death have compounded the sadness.
full story:
Washington Post

1 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

Hi Gingersnapp: I just wanted to give you a heads up that I linked to your blog at my blog, Fuzzy and Blue, b/c I used your pix of Bush a la Orwell's 1984. I wanted to give you the proper hat tip, and to my surprise, I see that you have this story about the op/ed written by this dad of a fallen son. He and his parents live not far from me in N.E. Ohio, and when he and all of those other Ohio men were lost in August, the Schroeder parents were VERY vocal about their complete disgust over the Iraq war and people heralding the war as a great democratic accomplishment that could be thrown -- like a laurel wreath-- on Dumbya's empty head. Take care... keep it real... and come visit me at Fuzzy.

1/05/2006 1:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home